Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The electrifying jiko (kitchen)

So I gotta little story for ya… the other day the fundi (the electrician) came over to fix my neighbors electricity. It just so happens that im the lucky one that has the electricity switch in my house! Haha. Everyone better be nice to me or I have the power to turn off THEIR power! Hahaha… no I wouldn’t really do that don’t you worry! Anyway, they (meaning all of my male teachers because 3 of them live together in one half of the house and another male teacher lives with his family in the other half of the house) and the fundi came over and played with switches, messed with wires and generally enjoyed playing with electricity. I enjoyed watching the whole thing… im not gonna lie. After a while the fundi left, my neighbors returned to their house and well all lived happily ever after with electricity…..

Well almost everyone.

The next week it started raining. And its now the rainy season so it literally pretty much rains every day for long periods of time. It was during one of these many raining periods when someone came to the teachers room and said “Miss Mery a girl named Given is looking for you. Something happened in your jiko”. Oh now this isn’t anything anyone wants to hear! So I promptly ran home to see what had happened. Apparently my new house girl was trying to use my electric stove and she grabbed the pot and the whole stove shocked her! She freaked out (like she should) and ran to get me from school. Well I touched the stove myself and it didn’t do anything. And then one of my students came over to talk and I told him about the stove and I said “oh but now its not doing it” and I reached over and grabbed the pot. It sent this HUGE electric shock down my arm. What! The electricity was off! I had no clue what was going on. But I let my student take off the pot because I sure as heck wasn’t planning on touching the thing!

And for the next two days everything was back to normal.

Until once again Im at school and im walking back from a class and a student runs up and says “miss mery a girl named given is looking for you!” I was like oh brother what happened this time. So I ran home again and I walked in the door. Apparently this time my WHOLE KITCHEN WAS ELECTRIFIED! Given tried to pick up the pot sitting on the floor of the kitchen and a huge shock went up her arm, then she tried to grab the sugar from the table and an even bigger shock ran up her arm. She freaked out again and literally was so scared that she couldn’t even walk into the kitchen. Poor girl. So I went and talked to my second master (and my duplex neighbor) and they called a fundi right away to come fix it. Apparently while they were fixing my neighbors electricity they exposed a wire just outside my kitchen. And with all of the rain the wire was sending shocks into my kitchen. Dude. Im glad they fixed it. For a bit I was like…how utterly ironic would it be if I got electrocuted in Tanzania when I thought that I wasn’t going to have electricity in the first place!

And yeah. That’s my story. Neato
I hope you enjoyed it and that your enjoying your life! Love you all

No comments: